Friday, July 26, 2013

This entry is coming from my comfortable hotel room in Johannesburg, SA.   I got to sleep in a nice bed last night, a welcome relief after over 24 hours of flying and waiting. The first long flight, from Asheville to  Amsterdam was so uncomfortable (4 beefy people in my row including me, feeling squashed despite the luxury of an aisle seat),  I asked about upgrading to comfort coach on the 11 hour flight to Johannesburg.   Fortunately, I got it and the extra leg room and recline degree made it possible to take a couple of naps.   Even more fortunately, instead of having to pay what would have been a hefty upgrade charge, the head purser (head flight attendant) told me there would be no charge because she knew I was going to Mozambique to volunteer.   I have no idea how she found out and really don't care, tho it would be an interesting mystery to solve.  

My seatmate on that flight was a quiet woman who basically kept to herself on the flight (fine w/ me).   The last hour, we talked w/ each other and I found out she works as a fundraiser for a charitable organization working on AIDs issues in Africa.   She lived here for over 20 years and now lives in Holland with frequent trips to various countries.   Good conversation. 

I'm going to close this initial post to finish repacking and head for the airport - the hotel is connected directly to the airport.   Excited about starting the assignment today.   I take a relatively short flight to Beria where I will be met by the in country representative of the organization for which I am volunteering.   More later w/ pics if possible. 

Internet connections may be dicey so I may not be able to post frequently. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Sounds like such an awesome opportunity. Didn't know you were headed out on this journey. As a matter of fact, I had just recently sent you a face book message about our travels back to the US for vacation in August. Was hoping we could meet up again.

    Enjoy your time in Mozambique. Can't wait to follow your adventure.

    Peace,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete