Sunday, August 4, 2013

Day 7

Rained most of yesterday so stayed inside most of the time.  A group of 14 Portiguese volunteers have come to the guesthouse where they will be spending a month working with the local people on a variety of educational and entrepreneurial areas.   Its nice to have a full table at meals.   Right now it is early afternoon and the area around the guesthouse is full of the sounds of children playing.   Most enjoyable.


Had an opportunity to drive around the "city", visit local markets and take a few photos.  Here goes.
 The bougainvillaea next to the guest house.   This is trimmed as a bush but I think its still the same plant
 Life outside the guesthouse gates
Daily business

This is where you buy chickens.   I guess turning them into dinner requires all the old fashioned activity - killing, defeathering, etc. 

This is how they are carried around by the purchasers - still live, upside down
 I understand bikes sometimes have 4 people riding.   Three seems a gracious plenty.   Notice the beautiful fabric in the background.   Yes, I bought some.
 At the market
 At the market, piles of clothes, literally in piles and piles of shoes in no particular order.  
 Beans and eggs.   The driver said the last time he bought eggs there was a developing chicken in one of them, so...
 the seller looked closely at the eggs in the light to make sure no unsuspecting babies lurked.
Yes, these are bundles of mice.   I didn't ask any questions, just moved on quickly.






carrying baby and chicken

                        Stuff to buy and lots of it





beans and tangerines
                   


                      wall art outside the market


time to wash clothes - I asked my interpreter if that how my clothes got cleaned at the guesthouse and he said yes.  I dont think that is what really happened as my clothes were returned very clean and ironed. 

 This structure which looks like a toll booth for a small person is right beside the bridge where I took the clothes washing pics.   I liked the art work.  No one in my car knew what it was for.  
 people make their own bricks to build their  houses.   These are drying.


                            scavenging in a dump 


this house belongs to the head administrator of the region.   His own electrical tower - and a huge satellite dish which you cant see in the pic


A hotel where I could have stayed - nice looking on the outside, but away from the city and no running water.   I think I lucked out where I am.  



Here's the three pieces of fabric I bought.

No comments:

Post a Comment